Lanka Government Cloud 2.0
When the current technology enhancements and trends are considered, it is essential to implement a fully-fledged cloud environment which is capable of facilitating the emerging needs. Furthermore, ICTA is planning for new initiatives such as big data analytics, digital documentation and mGov application which need a fully-fledged cloud environment.
The version 1 of Lanka Government Cloud (LGC 1.0) was initially implemented with the objective of facilitating Lanka Gate and its components and enhanced later as a government cloud. Due to this, there are some limitations to enhance the LGC 1.0 further to cater to all government and emerging needs.
In view of the above facts, ICTA intends to implement an industry standard cloud environment to serve as the ‘Lanka Government Cloud 2.0’ (LGC 2.0) to provide efficient, cost effective, reliable and secure services. LGC 2.0 will cater to all government infrastructure requirements and it is expected that citizen engagement will be increased in numerous ways with proposed initiatives. While LGC 2.0 will be providing answers to the limitations and constraints of the initial version of the LGC (LGC 1.0), LGC 2.0 will create the platform to move forward with government cloud (G-Cloud) concept with great scalability.
Parallel to the Lanka Government Network 2.0 (LGN 2.0) which aims at connecting 3,500 government organizations during next three years, LGC 2.0 will be playing a vital role. Big data cluster will be a key component of LGC 2.0, where all government data belong to all categories will be stored. Big data analytics (or process of examining large data sets containing a variety of data types) which will be a major outcome of the big data cluster can be very effectively used for the economic growth of the country. Apart from this, open data platform will create a conducive environment in the country along with the government’s initiatives such as ‘Right-to-Information – RTI’ act.
LGC 2.0 aims at providing industry standard cloud services to cater to all government. LGC 2.0 will consist of a big data cluster which will facilitate storing of government data belong to any category, big data analytics and open data platform. Moreover, LGC 2.0 will provide common shared services such as document management system.
- Provide industry standard cloud services
- Promote effective utilization of hardware resources by using latest cloud operations systems and tools.
- Provide centralized solutions for common platforms such as document management system and big data platform.
- To be aligned with the current technology enhancements and trends and thereby facilitating the services for emerging needs.
- 1 Petabyte storage for big data cluster Other statistics are not yet available. However, planning to provide;
- IaaS, SaaS facilities for all government needs
- Virtual machine and Docker based (application container) services
- Common and shared services for all government organizations