Lanka Government Network 2.0 (LGN 2.0)
Aligned with the National Policy of ‘Digitization of Economy’, ICTA implements several initiatives to provide efficient and effective services to the citizens and businesses. Improving and developing the digital infrastructure of Sri Lanka is one of the key initiatives undertaken by ICTA towards achieving the above objective. In order to transform Sri Lanka towards a digitally empowered society, ICTA has introduced some revolutionary technologies, LGN is a strategic project of Re-Engineering Government program launched by the ICTA.
The government of Sri Lanka has recognized the need for a digital economy and has taken measures to digitalize the administration in order to successfully face future economic and social challenges.
Lanka Government Network version 2.0 (LGN 2.0) is a Wide Area Computer Network which is the highly available, secure and reliable and dedicated underlying information infrastructure backbone that aims to connect all the government organizations of GOSL in a cost-effective and secure manner to provide centralized Internet, Email and video conferencing services, Enable access to Lanka Government Cloud (LGC) services from any government organization. Also, it’s provide number of government eservices and Provide trusted and secure connectivity to other government organizations to exchange government data through this network.
By successfully deploying the LGN project, ICTA aims at encouraging public sector employees to get better acquainted with Information and Communication Technology (ICT), assuring efficiency and smooth flow of information as well as improving standards of service in the public sector to be able to provide efficient citizen services.
- To establish a dedicated digital infrastructure to government in order for share information and
provide digital content and electronic services to general public.
- To provide high speed Wide Area Network connectivity to 860 government locations to connect with LGN
- To provide Wi-Fi facility to access government services for employees and for citizens as well.
- To facilitate the government organizations to utilize this LGN network for effective and efficient
- To merge existing network infrastructure of each government organization into LGN network where if
- To provide uninterrupted, reliable and fast Internet connectivity to the government organizations.
- To provide trusted and secure connectivity to other government organizations to exchange government
To formulate policies, operating procedures and guidelines to assure the security of the network to align with industry best practices, the proposed LGN 2.0 initiative offers up to 100 Mbps last mile connectivity for all government location through fiber optic media. Also from this network ICTA intends to build their Local area network with providing Wi-Fi facilities with enabling cross government dedicated network in Sri Lanka.