Sri Lanka Government Chief Innovation Officers (CIO) Program
The public services transformation into Digital Government requires strong and dynamic technological leadership along with the administrative management provided by the administrative service CEOs and other senior officials. The success of Digital Government initiatives depends on the interface of public administration with ICT technology. The Digital Government concept emerged as a global requirement to facilitate the effectiveness and efficiency of local governments. The predominant purpose was to provide a fully integrated, citizen- friendly, cost effective and converged service delivery through a responsive and networked government. Successful integration of the technology with governance depends on the leadership provided by the Chief Innovation Officers (CIO). The situation is more relevant to emerging e-governance countries where administrative-technological hybrid staff cadres are yet to emerge.
The CIO is the focal point in e-governance activities in the government organizations under the direction of ICTA. The CIO, in the context of e-Governance in Sri Lanka, should possess both administrative and technological competencies. The need to have a multi-faceted competency profile for a successful CIO has been widely acknowledged, not only in the state sector but also in the corporate sector.
A CIO is also expected to play the role of a “Change Agent” within the system, working as an innovation champion, simultaneously championing the causes of digital government and administrative reforms. Hence, they will play a key role in driving the transformation process within the government and will be given specialized training to ensure their readiness to champion change within their respective line ministries and departments.
• Improve good governance
• Socio economic development
• Inclusive knowledge society
• Improve relationships and collaboration
• Sustainable development
• Decrease rural to urban migration
• To empower and build required capacities among all public sector employees to make them positive and competent for enabling effective delivery of citizen centric public services
• To build skills and provide knowledge on possible innovations in public administration through the use of ICT.
• To prepare a set of executives from the government sector who could drive Digital Government initiatives with theoretical and practical knowledge.
• To encourage government officials to improve the productivity and efficiency in government services.
• To develop capacities on the effective use of ICT in the public sector and of governance for improved delivery of public services to citizens.
• To encourage government officials to obtain recognized high-level qualifications and improve knowledge on eGovernment and/or related subject areas.
• To create positive top-level officials who has knowledge & understanding of Digital Government. They will lead to and drive the Digital Government vision and implementation in their respective domains/organizations.
• Competent middle and junior management with a higher level of support and buying in for Digital Government initiatives
• To create a more knowledgeable, competent and empowered CIO community. They will drive and facilitate eGovernment implementation in GoSL
• To develop a more productive government workforce equipped with appropriate competencies for Digital Government implementation and service delivery
• To establish a GCIO governance mechanism with authority through the GCIO resource pool (CIO rewarding and performance mechanism , CIO council )
• To establish the role of GCIO as the change agent who drives digital transformation
• To enhance the capacity of GCIOs
• To facilitate the adoption of identified digital governance policies
• To implement transforming processes to meet the requirements of connected government
• To inculcate a culture of encouraging innovation within the government
• To facilitate technology driven infrastructure for the Government Sector
• To ensure sustainability of the digital government solutions